THIS POSTCARD from the 1930s depicts one of the best-known cemeteries in Slovakia - the National Cemetery in Martin. It is the final resting place of many Slovak politicians, activists and artists.
In 1741, all cemeteries and crypts, which had until that time been located around churches, were ordered moved outside towns for hygienic reasons. The cemetery in Martin was moved to the outskirts of the town, where it bordered on a field. It was later extended in that direction.
Until the middle of the 19th century the graves were marked only with wooden and iron crosses, of which, unfortunately, not many have survived to this day. Gravestones were erected only later. Since there were no stone cutters in Martin, it was necessary to import gravestones from what is now the Czech Republic or Vienna.
Apart from a quiet atmosphere, the National Cemetery in Martin offers interesting examples of works by stone cutters that are well worth seeing.
31. Mar 2008 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan