ON MAY 25, a 'day of railwaymen' took place at the Kysuce Village Museum in Nová Bystrica - Vychylovka, SITA reported. It marked the 90th anniversary of the opening of the Kysuce Forest Railway.
Steam locomotives carried visitors in open carriages on a reconstructed section of the railway.
On Sunday, more than thousand people visited the museum.
Two steam engines, made in 1909 and 1916, were in use on the historical narrow-gauge forest railway, which employs a switchback system to climb the steep hillside.
Among the attendant events were screenings of documentary movies about the former Kysuce-Orava forest railway, and a performance by a country group.
Last season, more than 29,000 visitors took a ride on the historical switchback railway, more than 3,000 of them foreign tourists.
The Kysuce-Orava Forest Railway (KOLŽ), built to transport wood from the hills, was created in 1926 by linking two narrow-gauge forest railways.
The line ceased operating in 1972. The Kysuce Museum in Čadca later took over some parts of it, and resumed its operation as a tourist attraction.
2. Jun 2008 at 0:00 | Compiled by Jana Liptáková from press reports