The government rejected calls on June 12 from opposition politicians to take action against certain ministers over the case of a Slovak pedophile in police custody in the Czech Republic on charges of raping and murdering a nine-year-old boy.
"If these complex-ridden opposition politicians want to profit politically from this tragedy, they need to be reminded that the suspected pedophile, Antonín Novák, was discharged from institutional treatment during the previous government’s term in office," the Prime Minister's spokeswoman, Silvia Glendová, said.
The district court in Rožňava (Košice region) changed Novák’s detoxification and sex treatment in June 2004 due to a doctor from the mental hospital in Plešivec (Košice region) who said that Novák did not represent a danger to society.
The opposition politicians say that it is "shameful" for ministers to toss around the responsibility for the case. In their opinion, Fico should stop burying his head in the sand and do something, said SDKÚ chairman Mikuláš Dzurinda at a press conference in Bratislava earlier in the day. TASR
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
13. Jun 2008 at 8:00