THIS POSTCARD shows the oldest part of Nitra as viewed from the air during the 1920s. This view clearly indicates some of the changes the city has undergone during the ensuing 80 years.
The dominant physical feature of Nitra, Zobor Hill, was not heavily populated in the 1920s.
Contrary to today, when family homes and estates dominate much of the hill, the sunny slopes of Zobor were covered mostly with vineyards during the first half of the 20th century.
What we see in the picture is the town of Párovce, which was incorporated into Nitra in 1886.
The dense construction visible in the left corner of the postcard is no longer standing.
Alas, this site became a victim of communist redevelopment in the 1960s when 13 mansions, five pubs, one synagogue, and two Jewish schools were demolished.
The only medieval building preserved was the Romanesque church of St Stephan from the 10th-11th century, which now stands surrounded by drab concrete apartment buildings.
Nitra, like other Slovak towns and villages, suffered a host of architectural desecrations under the communist regime but in spite of this, much of its magic remains preserved today.
25. Aug 2008 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan