NEWS IN SHORT

Controversial dump can open in Pezinok

THE FINAL decision required to open a controversial waste dump in Pezinok was issued on March 2. Neither numerous public protests by the city’s residents and municipal officials, nor support from other politicians prevented the Environmental Inspectorate from sealing the decision to allow the dump to open, the Sme daily wrote.

THE FINAL decision required to open a controversial waste dump in Pezinok was issued on March 2. Neither numerous public protests by the city’s residents and municipal officials, nor support from other politicians prevented the Environmental Inspectorate from sealing the decision to allow the dump to open, the Sme daily wrote.

Now that the owners of the dump have received this permission, there is nothing to prevent the dump from opening, the director of the Environment Inspectorate, Miroslav Held, said. His office did not evaluate the protests of the city and the residents-activists who claimed that the dump was not in accordance with the Pezinok’s general zoning plan.

“We have told the residents of Pezinok a hundred times that we cannot change the decision of another state organ,” Held told Sme.

The regional Construction Office should have noticed the conflict between building the dump and the city’s general zoning plan, but they did not. The regional Construction Office at that time was led by Ján Man Jr., a nominee of Smer and the owner of the land under the dump, Sme wrote.

“The offices have always been fast when it came to the interests of this company,” said Pezinok’s Mayor Oliver Solga, as quoted by Sme.

“It is another example of the arrogance of power on the part of bureaucrats and builders,” said Marián Šípoš from the civic initiative Waste Dumps Do Not Belong in a Town (Skládka nepatrí do mesta) about the final permission for the dump to be opened.

The city and the activists have appealed the case to the Supreme Court, Sme reported.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

No test, no work. Employees will have to take paid or unpaid leave

Those who will be quarantined with a positive test result will be entitled to pandemic sick leave.

Illustrative stock photo

He wore his mask with his nose uncovered. Kotleba is COVID-19 positive

Three more MPs have reportedly tested positive so far.

Marian Kotleba in parliament with his mask under his nose

Curfew and closed schools. Slovakia goes into a mild lockdown this weekend

Nationwide testing will follow, accompanied by another curfew.

Nationwide testing - an ambitious plan with an uncertain result

Antigen tests to be used work on patients with symptoms.