A second round of the so-called scrapyard contribution - discounts of up to €2,000 for people who scrap cars more than ten years old and buy new ones - could be re-launched on Monday, Prime Minister Robert Fico said at an Economic Crisis Council meeting on March 31.
Fico added that the conditions for continuing the contribution, which was halted on March 25 after the original budget was used up, are still to be negotiated with Economy Minister Ľubomír Jahnátek.
“Apart from the National Union of Employers (RUZ), everyone has conceded that the scrapyard contribution made sense and recommended that the Government continue [with the project]," said Fico. He also assured people who scrapped their cars on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week - when the budget had already been used up - that they will still get their contribution. This could affect around 4,200 cars, he noted.
The Economy and Finance Ministries are due to hold talks on the details of the re-launch, the TASR newswire wrote. Finance Minister Ján Počiatek also has to specify whether the sum to be allocated will be the same as the one already spent - €33.2 million - or less.
“We'll terminate the scrapyard contribution after the second round,” Fico added. TASR
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
1. Apr 2009 at 10:00