Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Prime Minister says bulletin-board contract must be cancelled

The Slovak government has committed newly-appointed Construction and Regional Development Minister Igor Štefanov (SNS) to undertake all necessary measures to cancel the contract concerning the so-called bulletin-board tender, Prime Minister Robert Fico announced after an extraordinary session of the cabinet on Thursday, April 23, the TASR newswire reported.

The Slovak government has committed newly-appointed Construction and Regional Development Minister Igor Štefanov (SNS) to undertake all necessary measures to cancel the contract concerning the so-called bulletin-board tender, Prime Minister Robert Fico announced after an extraordinary session of the cabinet on Thursday, April 23, the TASR newswire reported.

The newswire added that the Prime Minister said that if Štefanov doesn't carry out the task, the minister will lose Fico's confidence and he will submit a proposal for Štefanov's dismissal.

According to Fico, the government has responded in this way to an appeal by the European Commission for Slovakia to explain the circumstances surrounding the contract signed by the ministry, worth €120 million to procure services financed with EU funds, within 60 days.

The ability to draw EU funds in a transparent and efficient way and thereby contribute to mitigation of the impacts of the global economic crisis is more important than relations within the governing coalition, Fico said to TASR.

Štefanov did not attend the extraordinary session of the cabinet as he was on a trip abroad. Another two ministers representing the SNS party left the session prior to the vote on the matter, while the remaining members of the Cabinet adopted the resolution by agreement. The Prime Minister did not specify the deadline by which Štefanov should act.

The announcement of the tender for the provision of assistance in drawing EU funds was posted last year only on a ministry bulletin board. The former construction minister, Marian Janušek, an SNS nominee, then signed contracts worth €120 million with two companies (Avocat and Zamedia) that are said to be close to SNS party leader Ján Slota. The resulting controversy led to Janušek's resignation on April 14, with Štefanov replacing him in the post. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Socialism elections were parody of free vote

After the revolution in 1989 the number of people participating in elections fell from 99 percent to around 60 percent.

Elections during socialism regime.

Foreigners: Top 10 events in Bratislava Video

Tips for the top 10 events in the capital between November 17 and November 26, plus regular services in different languages, training, temporary exhibitions and highlights of the year.

Lúčnica

Top 3 stories from Last Week in Slovakia Video

Chinese could produce e-cars in Slovakia - PM Robert Fico does not see election defeat - Poliačik leaves the strongest opposition party

PM Robert Fico

Ecocide! How Slovakia destroys its national parks

Officially, the number of forests in Slovakia keeps growing but satellite shots of the national parks evoke horrors.

logging at Muránska Planina