Construction ministry not seeking return of spent ‘bulletin-board tender’ funds

The Construction and Regional Development Ministry said on May 13 that it has not sought to and does not intend to recover the funds already released under a €119.5-million contract that was awarded to firms close to the Slovak National Party (SNS), whose nominees have served as construction ministers, the TASR newswire reported.

The Construction and Regional Development Ministry said on May 13 that it has not sought to and does not intend to recover the funds already released under a €119.5-million contract that was awarded to firms close to the Slovak National Party (SNS), whose nominees have served as construction ministers, the TASR newswire reported.

The controversial contract for interpretation and other services was found to have been awarded without being put out to proper tender, thus wasting public funds that were supposed to have been covered by the European Union but may not be if the European Commission is dissatisfied with Slovakia's explanation, according to TASR.

Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico said on public service Slovak Television (STV) on Sunday, May 10, that he has ordered Minister Štefanov to cancel the contract negotiated with the firms concerned and that he will commission an analysis to see whether the already spend funds were used effectively. Štefanov told reporters after the weekly government policy session on May 13 that he acted immediately to stop the contract but it will take some time to have it cancelled following talks with the companies concerned.

Earlier on Wednesday, an NGO, the Fair-play Alliance, said that it has filed a criminal complaint against the Construction Ministry at a district court in Bratislava and demanded that the judicial authorities declare the contract from the tender invalid from the outset.

Former construction and regional development Minister Marian Janušek was ousted from his post last month amid the controversy over the tender, which had been announced only on a ministry bulletin board. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

News digest: Keep up the good work, EC head tells Slovakia

Another Covid-19 wave is underway. Toblerone will produce chocolate in Slovakia.


14 h
Igor Matovič (right) shakes hands with OĽaNO MP Andrej Stančík who said he had a problem with a vote together with the far right, but then voted with them anyway.

No, Mr. Matovič, the end doesn't justify the means

OĽaNO’s leader rejects formal cooperation with the fascists, while exploiting a shadow coalition in which they are full members.


18 h
Retired general and security expert Pavel Macko.

Slovakia still isn't ready to host NATO battle groups permanently

But the country will need a long-term NATO presence, a security expert claims.


23. jun
The river Slaná in mid-March.

Work completed at mine that turned river orange

Plan being prepared to solve pollution problem.


23. jun
SkryťClose ad