The second elections to the European Parliament in the history of Slovakia began on June 6 at 7 a.m. and the polling stations closed at 10 p.m. on the same day. The voters in Slovakia picked their representatives from candidate lists of 16 political parties.
1. People's Party-Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (LS-HZDS) - 13 candidates
2. Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) - 13 candidates
3. Smer-Social Democracy (Smer-SD) - 13 candidates.
4. Green Party (SZ) - 13 candidates
5. The Slovak Democratic and Christian Union-Democratic Party (SDKU-DS) - 12 candidates
6. Democratic Party (DS) - 12 candidates
7. Mission 21-Movement of Christian Solidarity (Misia 21) - 1 candidate
8. Agrarian Party of the Provinces (ASV) - 4 candidates
9. Conservative Democrats of Slovakia-Civic Conservative Party (KDS, OKS) - 13 candidates
10. Party of the Hungarian Coalition (SMK-MKP) - 13 candidates
11. Communist Party of Slovakia (KSS) - 12 candidates
12. Roma Initiative of Slovakia - originally intended to take part, but the party confirmed on June 1 that it was withdrawing its only candidate due to the poor state of his health following a car crash.
13. Slovak National Party (SNS) - 13 candidates
14. LIGA-Civic Liberal Party - 13 candidates
15. Party of the Democratic Left (SDL) - 13 candidates
16. Free Forum (SF) - 13 candidates
17. Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) - 13 candidates
The election turnout in the first Euroelections in Slovakia stood at 16.96 percent in 2004 – the lowest figure in Europe.
Source: TASR newswire
7. Jun 2009 at 9:00