Number of people with A/H1N1 virus in Slovakia rises to 32

A 30-year-old man from Nitra region became Slovakia's 32nd person confirmed to be infected by A/H1N1 novel flu, the country's chief public health officer Ivan Rovný told the TASR newswire on Thursday, July 16.

A 30-year-old man from Nitra region became Slovakia's 32nd person confirmed to be infected by A/H1N1 novel flu, the country's chief public health officer Ivan Rovný told the TASR newswire on Thursday, July 16.

According to Rovný, the man who recently returned from England showed clinical symptoms, such as fever, cough, headache and a sore throat. Earlier in the day, Defense Ministry spokesman Vladimír Gemela announced that a Slovak soldier taking part in a mission on the island of Cyprus was confirmed to have contacted the novel virus, the first case of a Slovak diagnosed with the virus abroad.

The soldier has been admitted to a hospital in Cyprus's capital Nicosia. According to the spokesman for Slovakia's Armed Forces, Mário Pažický, the life of the soldier who is on an UNFICYP mission is not threatened. “We expect that he'll be back to a normal working life within five-seven days,” he told TASR. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

News digest: Third wave is coming. President urges people to get vaccinated

President and the Catholic bishops encourage people to get Covid vaccine. More foreign countries classify Slovakia as green. Cabinet apologises for the infamous Moldava raid.


10 h
Illustrative stock photo

First Delta variant confirmed in Slovakia

The labs confirmed the strain in a positive sample from a person who returned from Russia.


17 h
Illustrative stock photo

One euro for every comment. Slovak company turns hate into love on social media

The first such campaign in Slovakia, though quite a popular technique abroad.


14 h
Roman Mikulec and Mária Kolíková presented the proposed document at the governmental session.

Cabinet apologised for the police raid in Roma settlement in 2013

The cabinet considers the apology a humanitarian gesture towards the victims and a commitment to avoid similar failures in the future.


13 h