Slovak Economy Minister Ľubomír Jahnátek said on Wednesday, August 19, that he currently does not see any sense in launching a third wave of automobile scrapping bonuses, the TASR newswire reported.
According to Jahnátek, who was speaking after a government session, the first two waves of the scrapping bonuses met their purpose, increasing the sales of cars in Slovakia, while many car sellers continued the project even after the €55 million that was allocated in March and April was spent.
“Currently I don't see a good time to launch a third wave of the scrapping bonus,” said Jahnátek.
He also said he does not support the launch of similar projects for the sale of white goods. “It would help certain businesses; but on the other hand, our electro-technical industry is not suffering so much,” Jahnátek said.
Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico last week alluded to the possibility of a third car-scrapping wave. "If a new situation arose according to which there was a need to come up with something new to support the car industry, we'd do it," said Fico to TASR, adding that the introduction of the bonus scheme earlier this year proved successful. TASR
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
20. Aug 2009 at 14:00