Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

EU Commissioner describes dispute over Sólyom's ban into Slovakia as bilateral issue

The Slovak-Hungarian dispute over Slovakia's refusal to allow Hungarian President László Sólyom entry to Slovakia on August 21 is a bilateral issue, said the Vice President of the European Commission in charge of Justice, Freedom and Security Jacques Barrot in Brussels on October 14.

The Slovak-Hungarian dispute over Slovakia's refusal to allow Hungarian President László Sólyom entry to Slovakia on August 21 is a bilateral issue, said the Vice President of the European Commission in charge of Justice, Freedom and Security Jacques Barrot in Brussels on October 14.

“This is a problem between Slovakia and Hungary. I explained this when welcoming the Slovak and Hungarian delegations, and I believed that this incident was over, as a dialogue between the prime ministers had been launched,” said Barrot as quoted by the TASR newswire.

The Commissioner also expressed his conviction that this dialogue will be held in a manner that will prevent serious misunderstandings whenever possible. Barrot's comments came after an announcement by Hungary that it plans to take action via Brussels concerning the non-visit. Budapest called on the European Commission to begin legal action against Slovakia for denying Solyom entry as it considers Slovakia's decision to be in contradiction with European laws on the free movement of people.

Solyom was supposed to take part in an unveiling ceremony for a statue of Hungarian King Stephen I in Komarno (Nitra region). The visit was due to take place on the same day that Slovakia was commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia (which included Hungarian troops). TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Police detain another person in promissory notes case

Ex-director of private broadcaster TV Markíza, Pavol Rusko, was detained shortly after being heard.

Pavol Rusko

First 500 jobseekers start training to work in automotive jobs

Neither labour offices nor the automotive industry dare to estimate to what extent the project will be successful.

For a Decent Slovakia organise another protest for June 22

At the same time, they are suing ex-PM Robert Fico, in response to his statements made during the protest rallies in February, citing fear-mongering and defamation.

For a Decent Slovakia represenattives - L-R: Lukáš Füle, Karolína Farská, Juraj Šeliga and Veronika Bruncková - filed a suit against ex-PM Robert Fico June 15.

Construction of the longest tunnel in Slovakia gets complicated

Érsek considers delays in construction of the cross-country highway to be unacceptable.

Western portal of the Višňové tunnel