Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Opposition parties seek again to oust Environment Minister Štefanov

The Minister of Construction and Regional Development, Igor Štefanov, will again face an attempt to dismiss him in parliament over the so-called bulletin-board tender, said Christian-Democratic Movement, KDH, chairman Ján Figeľ on October 19, following a meeting with representatives of the major opposition party SDKÚ (Slovak Democratic and Christian Union), the TASR newswire wrote. The same tender prodded the opposition into attempting an identical move in May 2009, shortly after Štefanov was appointed minister.

The Minister of Construction and Regional Development, Igor Štefanov, will again face an attempt to dismiss him in parliament over the so-called bulletin-board tender, said Christian-Democratic Movement, KDH, chairman Ján Figeľ on October 19, following a meeting with representatives of the major opposition party SDKÚ (Slovak Democratic and Christian Union), the TASR newswire wrote.

The same tender prodded the opposition into attempting an identical move in May 2009, shortly after Štefanov was appointed minister.

“Štefanov was responsible for the tender before he became minister. A negative evaluation of this procurement has been expressed by the Supreme Audit Office (NKÚ) and subsequently by Brussels as well. This damages the country's credibility,” Figeľ told TASR.

The ministry announced a tender for supplying various services co-financed by EU funds solely on a bulletin board located within the ministry's headquarters. It subsequently signed an agreement with the winning bidder - a consortium that included two companies - and paid part of the money for the services. It is reported that both companies are close to SNS chairman Ján Slota and that the consortium's bid was extremely expensive.

After inspections of the NKÚ and the Public Procurements Office (ÚVO), former minister Marián Janušek was ousted. He was replaced by Štefanov, who reached agreement with the consortium to cancel the agreement. The EU announced on October 6 that it would not cover the €11 million in payments that had already been made by the state. Štefanov will not comment on this new initiative, the Construction Ministry’s spokesperson, Linda Vaškovičová, told TASR on October 19. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

The art of baking Bratislava rolls Photo

Vienna has Sacher torte, Budapest has Somlói galuska and Bratislava has rolls

Ján Šimunek loves Bratislava rolls, especially those filled with poppy seed.

Sagan shows impressive core exercises Video

The three-time world champion will start the new season in a month's time in Australia.

Peter Sagan

Slovak cybersecurity firm participated in global operation to disrupt malware system

Eset monitored malware and its impact on users over several years

UN committee: Slovakia still discriminates against Roma

Government should adopt measures to remove discrimination and segregation of the minority.

Moldava nad Bodvou