THE KOVÁČOVÁ spa in central Slovakia is relatively young. The thermal mineral springs were discovered here by accident during geological exploration at the end of the 19th century. Between 1898 and 1899, engineers searching for coal reserves in the region sunk a bore that struck a source of thermal water at a depth of 405 metres. The water rose to the surface at the borehole and formed a small lake.
Later, the spring was bought by several businessmen. After they had regulated the water supply, they established a small spa on the site. Unfortunately, no big investor was found for Kováčová, and the businessmen who owned the spa were able to build just one pool, a small hotel and a restaurant.
As a result, the Kováčová spa remained a regional resort. This postcard from 1932 depicts the hotel restaurant “Príhoda”.
18. Jan 2010 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan