A memorial plaque was unveiled on the wall of the former synagogue in Komárno on January 24 to mark Holocaust Memorial Day, the TASR newswire reported.
“Now, on the occasion of the 65th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp, we’ve made this memorial plaque with inscriptions in the Slovak, Hungarian, Hebrew and English languages,” Tamás Paszternak from the Jewish Religious Community told TASR.
The synagogue was built in 1863 and served its original purpose until 1944. It is now being used as a sports centre.
More than 3,000 Jewish people living in and around Komárno were deported to concentration camps during WWII. Most never came back. The Jewish community in Komárno is one of the last 12 of its kind in Slovakia, made up of 60 mostly elderly people. In 2005, the United Nations declared January 27, the date on which the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp was liberated, as Holocaust Memorial Day. TASR
Compiled by Michaela Stanková from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
25. Jan 2010 at 14:00