Paška and Sulík exchange barbs over referendum proposal

The Speaker of Slovak Parliament, Pavol Paška from Smer party, strongly rejected statements made by Richard Sulík, chairman of the non-parliamentary Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party, who last week accused Paška of putting his own party interests above those of the people by describing SaS’s initiative for a referendum as a “political adventure” and an “attempt to attract attention”, the TASR newswire wrote.

The Speaker of Slovak Parliament, Pavol Paška from Smer party, strongly rejected statements made by Richard Sulík, chairman of the non-parliamentary Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party, who last week accused Paška of putting his own party interests above those of the people by describing SaS’s initiative for a referendum as a “political adventure” and an “attempt to attract attention”, the TASR newswire wrote.

Paška's spokesman Jozef Plško told TASR on Wednesday, February 3, that Paška has never expressed doubts over the petition law and the public's right to a referendum.

“The question of referendums is subject to the Constitution and Slovak laws, and calling it [a referendum] is an exclusive power of the president,” he said.

Paška suggests Sulik and his party should go into the general election on June 12 with its agenda, with which it will be able to offer a response to the issues that Sulík now wants addressed in the referendum.

SaS announced last week that late last year it managed to collect the 350,000 signatures needed to call its Referendum 2009 in Slovakia and that it is set to submit it to President Ivan Gašparovič, under whose authority plebiscites fall.

In the referendum, SaS seeks support for such proposals as scrapping mandatory television and radio licence fees, curtailing MPs' immunity, and downsizing parliament from 150 to 100 MPs, and others. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak