Slovakia’s Supreme Audit Office questions €4 million spent under bulletin-board tender

Slovakia’s Supreme Audit Office (NKÚ) released a report on March 8 about its investigation into the use of money within the so-called bulletin-board tender at the Construction and Regional Development Ministry, expressing doubts on how almost €4 million was used, the TASR newswire reported.

Slovakia’s Supreme Audit Office (NKÚ) released a report on March 8 about its investigation into the use of money within the so-called bulletin-board tender at the Construction and Regional Development Ministry, expressing doubts on how almost €4 million was used, the TASR newswire reported.

Earlier in the day the Construction and Regional Development Minister, Igor Štefanov from the Slovak National Party (SNS), had said that the NKÚ found that only a total of €32,000 (0.2 percent) of the total amount of €13 million spent before the tender was cancelled was not paid in accordance with the stipulated purpose.

The NKÚ stated, however, that certain scrutinised documents did not contain the results of the legal assistance provided by the winning consortium, but noted that the legal services “were directed towards meeting the goals of the Operational Programmes”, as quoted by TASR. The purpose of the use of the resources was not therefore violated, said the NKÚ.

The inspection “was not able to receive a proper assurance on meeting the purpose of money spent that exceeded €3.14 million”, as those expenditures were based only on declarations by the provider that the services had been delivered. In the case of further costs worth €840,000, “the connection to the material content of the project with respect to the target group was not clearly demonstrated”.

The Construction and Regional Development Ministry in 2007 announced a tender for supplying various legal and advertising services co-financed by EU funds solely on a bulletin board located within the ministry's headquarters. The ministry, which is run by the Slovak National Party (SNS), subsequently signed an agreement with the winning bidder – a consortium that included two companies called Zamedia and Avocat – and paid out part of the money for the services. It came to light later that both Zamedia and Avocat were reportedly close to SNS chairman Ján Slota and that the consortium’s bid was extremely expensive. TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Health care staff still lacking, president asks for amends

Slovakia is preparing to launch the nationwide testing on Saturday morning, but the government admitted they still need hundreds of health care staff. Kotleba violates quarantine and hospitals in the north are full.

The Bratislava Self-Governing Region started testing its staff on October 30.

Testing is impossible to carry out as planned, president says

President Zuzana Čaputová asked the government to reconsider measures for people who do not get tested, many will not get a chance.

President Zuzana Čaputová met with the representatives of the armed forces.

The big test is upon us. What are we to do?

For a foreigner living in Slovakia, there is yet another concern.

Health care professionals still lacking ahead of Saturday's testing

Government avoids mobilisation for now, PM offers an extra bonus to health care professionals who can serve the whole weekend.

Dolný Kubín