EVEN though this square in Bratislava was outside the town walls throughout the Middle Ages, its huge area was used intensively and over the course of several centuries, regular market locations developed at the site.
Its bread market was very famous and its vegetable, corn and poultry stands were also traded at heavily. In addition to visiting the many markets, Prešpuráci, that is the residents of Pressburg, or Pozsony, or Prešporok, as the Slovak capital was called in German, Hungarian and old Slovak, could visit the many pubs that stood here which often had magical names like the Golden Merica (merica was an old measure for corn, containing about 70 litres) or the Escape to Egypt.
On this postcard from 1928, the upper part of SNP Square can be seen along with the ever-present market traders.
In the background of this replica of K. Černý’s painting, the Calvinist Church dating back to 1913 can be seen. It took less than a year to build the church.
12. Apr 2010 at 0:00 | Branislav Chovan