Holders of the so-called Ducký's promissory notes (sometimes called bills of exchange) signed by former state-run gas utility SPP director Ján Ducký in the 1990s will not get any money from the state, Prosecutor General Dobroslav Trnka said at a press conference on May 13, the TASR newswire reported.
Trnka reported that the Prosecutor General’s Office successfully defended an appeal before the Supreme Court in one case involving a billion Slovak crowns (€33.2 million) that had been claimed by a Czech company called DRAFT-OVA.
“It's a successful precedent due to the fact that I don't know exactly how many promissory notes are yet to surface. The ruling of the Supreme Court has clearly demonstrated that owners (of the promissory notes) will not extort billions from the state. It’s a significant victory for us,” said Trnka to TASR.
SPP considers all ‘Ducký’s promissory notes’ to be fraudulent. Ducký, who allegedly signed 24 controversial promissory notes, was murdered on January 11, 1999 and, while the circumstances surrounding his murder have never been fully clarified, the promissory notes are widely believed to have been involved somehow.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
14. May 2010 at 10:00