Since last week it has been illegal to dump waste at the landfill site in Pezinok after Slovakia’s Supreme Court suspended the operator’s right to continue in a ruling made on August 17, the TASR newswire was told on August 23 by Ján Man Jr., head of the board of Ekologická Skládka, the company that operates the waste disposal site.
Man said that Ekologická Skládka received the ruling of the Supreme Court dated August 17, according to which the landfill site cannot continue to operate until the Supreme Court is given answers to questions concerning the legality of the site requested by the European Court of Justice.
“We're very happy that our request has been granted. This means that Pezinok won't be burdened by more waste until the legality of the landfill site is decided on,” said Zuzana Čaputová from the community initiative called Waste Dumps Do Not Belong in Towns which has been challenging the operation of the dump since it was first opened.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
24. Aug 2010 at 10:00