VEĽKÉ Leváre, a village in the Záhorie region, used to be home to four mills: The Mill at the Sawmill (Mlyn na Píle), The Mill under the Manor House (Mlyn pod Kaš-tieľom), The Mill at Kaniža (Mlyn na Ka-niži) and Fajták’s Mill (Fajtákovský). The Mill at the Sawmill supplied electricity to the village and the Mill Under the Manor House supplied electricity to manor house.
This postcard, dating from the turn of the 20th century, depicts what is most likely the Mill under the Manor House. The lake in which boys are fishing is a man-made reservoir on the small Rudava River.
In the past, no town was able to exist without its mills. There were even some villages that boasted seven or eight mills – of course these mills also served the wider surroundings.
Millers were a respected class, as was their craft. Apart from the milling itself, a miller had to be able to understand how the mill worked and how to build, maintain and repair it. They were also responsible for regulating the riverbed and the mill’s flume. Millers were seen as experienced people and men from the whole village often went to them for advice.
The era of mills in Slovakia ended in 1948 when all private property was confiscated by state under the nationalisation program.
13. Sep 2010 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan