NEWS IN SHORT

Trial of Nigerian will proceed in English

THE TRIAL of an alleged drug smuggler from Nigeria was postponed on October 7 at the Bratislava I District Court after the person hired to interpret the court's proceedings into the defendant's native language, Igbo, refused do so in court. The interpreter said his refusal was because of “mean people on the internet and journalists who connect him [the interpreter] with this crime”, the TASR newswire reported.

THE TRIAL of an alleged drug smuggler from Nigeria was postponed on October 7 at the Bratislava I District Court after the person hired to interpret the court's proceedings into the defendant's native language, Igbo, refused do so in court. The interpreter said his refusal was because of “mean people on the internet and journalists who connect him [the interpreter] with this crime”, the TASR newswire reported.

Raymond O., the defendant, had previously asked for interpretation into Igbo after claiming that he did not understand English well enough.

TASR reported that the court proceedings will now continue with English language interpretation. The proceedings are scheduled to begin again on December 13.

The accused Nigerian faces 25 years in prison for an alleged attempt to smuggle as many as 70 capsules of cocaine inside his body, an amount police officers said was enough for 11,000 to 22,000 individual doses worth up to €328,000 on the illegal market.


Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

How many people were infected in Volkswagen or U.S. Steel? Top companies mostly remain silent

Biggest employers have introduced measures, they do not want to talk about possible layoffs.

The Bratislava plant of Volkswagen maintained strict measures also in the summer.

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak