THE ORAVA dam in northern Slovakia has been declared a technological monument by engineers’ chambers and organisations from the Visegrad Four (V4) group of central European countries. The top representatives of engineers' chambers of the V4 as well as the head of the Žilina Self-governing Region, Juraj Blanár, affixed a commemorative plaque to the dam on October 9.
Eva Trautenbergerová from the regional office of the Slovak Chamber of Civil Engineers (SKSI) told the TASR newswire that the Orava dam received the honour on the occasion of the 17th meeting of engineers’ chambers of V4 countries that took place in Zuberec from October 7.
“Every year, one technological monument is chosen in the country in which the meeting is organised. This year, SKSI is the organiser of the meeting, and so it decided to include the Orava dam, which was completed in 1954, among the technological monuments,” she stated.
Before the commemorative plaque was officially unveiled, participants in the meeting inspected the dam’s wall as well as the power station sited within it.
The last time the meeting of the V4 engineers’ chambers took place in Slovakia, four years ago, the mint in Kremnica was pronounced a technological monument.
25. Oct 2010 at 0:00 | Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská