Speaker Sulík says parliament cannot cancel contract with Satur Travel

The contract between the Slovak parliament and Satur Travel agency for travel services and airline tickets cannot be terminated, according to Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík, who responded on November 24 to recent articles in the Sme daily that were critical of the contract, the TASR newswire reported. Satur Travel was co-owned by current opposition Smer MP Dušan Muňko before he passed his stake on to his wife and daughter. According to Sme, the previous management of parliament signed a three-year contract with Satur Travel for services worth €616,000. As much as €509,000 has been paid so far for tickets allowing MPs to fly on working trips abroad.

The contract between the Slovak parliament and Satur Travel agency for travel services and airline tickets cannot be terminated, according to Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík, who responded on November 24 to recent articles in the Sme daily that were critical of the contract, the TASR newswire reported.

Satur Travel was co-owned by current opposition Smer MP Dušan Muňko before he passed his stake on to his wife and daughter. According to Sme, the previous management of parliament signed a three-year contract with Satur Travel for services worth €616,000. As much as €509,000 has been paid so far for tickets allowing MPs to fly on working trips abroad.

Sulík's comments are contradictory to those made by the daily – that the contract with Satur Travel can actually be terminated under certain conditions. He also corrected Sme's reports by stating that the contract was actually signed for four years, not three.

Sulík said he finds it insolent that the contract was signed only six months before the June general election. "It doesn't include any excessive overpricing, however. I've seen even worse and uglier contracts," he told TASR, adding that he wants to hold negotiations with the travel agency in an attempt to secure a better deal for parliament.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak