TV Markíza reported on its evening news on January 9 that the criminal underground in Bratislava is offering a large sum of money in return for the names of new witnesses who have allegedly provided statements in connection to the case of murdered student Daniel Tupý, the TASR newswire wrote.
Two independent sources have confirmed that €200,000 is being offered, according to the news report. Tupý was stabbed to death when he and group of his friends were attacked on the evening of November 4, 2005 on the Tyršovo embankment in Bratislava. It was thought at first that the attackers were a gang of skinheads but the focus later switched to members of the criminal underworld. The case provoked a strong public reaction, but no arrests were made until around two years ago and no convictions have resulted.
Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic said during a remembrance ceremony on November 4 that new statements had been provided in connection to the case. The TASR newswire quoted TV Markíza as stating that four new witnesses are thought to have come forward. Tupý's father thinks that the police should never have said that the investigation is continuing in a "very promising" way and that Lipšic should not have mentioned any new statements.
Lipšic said on Sunday that the Mafia will not succeed even with such a large offer and that no information will ever be leaked by those who are dealing with the case, TASR wrote.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
10. Jan 2011 at 14:00