Police investigate PKO demolition

Police have launched an investigation into the planned demolition of Bratislava's well-known PKO Culture and Leisure Centre, Police Corps Presidium spokesperson Andrea Dobiašová said on Thursday, January 27, as reported by the TASR newswire.

Police have launched an investigation into the planned demolition of Bratislava's well-known PKO Culture and Leisure Centre, Police Corps Presidium spokesperson Andrea Dobiašová said on Thursday, January 27, as reported by the TASR newswire.

The Office for the Fight Against Corruption is looking into whether there was an abuse of power in the management of public property. "With the investigation being in its initial stages, no more information can be provided," she said. The PKO issue gained particular prominence after MP and former Bratislava mayor Andrej Ďurkovský announced on Tuesday that he was leaving the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) in an attempt to lessen the negative impact on the party caused by scandals which had been linked to him. These concern PKO's demolition, and alleged financial impropriety at the city-controlled Bratislava Water Company (BVS).

The Sme daily reported on January 19 that then-mayor Ďurkovský signed a document three days prior to the municipal elections last November whereby a company called Henbury Development was granted full powers to tear down PKO. In the document, dated November 24, Bratislava City Hall surrendered its rights over the issue. It is suspected that Ďurkovský acted on his own, i.e. without having sought the approval of Bratislava city councillors, the daily wrote. In line with the latest agreement between Henbury Development and Bratislava City Hall, no demolition will be carried out until the end of February 2011.

According to a legal analysis as requested by civil activists, PKO's demolition requires the consent of local councillors. Bratislava Council has never agreed to such a move, however. Civil activists claim that Ďurkovský wasn't entitled to sign an agreement on cooperation with Henbury, or provide his consent for PKO's demolition.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Who will take the swabs?

The government offers hundreds of euros to health care staff for testing. Curfew ends on Saturday for some. Take a look at testing sites and more.

PM Igor Matovič helped with testing in Tvrdošín.

People with negative tests can go to hairdresser or outdoor terraces

Those with a negative test result will have to follow rules introduced on October 15.

Companies fear drop in demand for their products and services the most

International chambers of commerce asked companies about their current situation as well as expectations.

Companies implemented anti-coronavirus measures.

The big testing: When and where to show up, and what if I don't want to? (FAQ)

Here is what we know about the practicalities of the nationwide testing so far. Testing also applies to foreigners and diplomats in Slovakia.

Pilot testing in Bardejov