A new film entitled 'Devín Massacre' reconstructing the shooting rampage by a lone gunman which took place in the Bratislava borough of Devínska Nová Ves last year is being dramatised as a film which will be shown at Slovak cinemas, the TASR newswire reported on Thursday, February 17.
The feature-length film provides both a documentary and stylised view of the events of August 30, 2010, including the lead-up to the shooting rampage and its aftermath. "I was surprised to see how accommodating [the people from the neighbourhood] were. They talked a lot about the event to camera crews ... most of them were almost professional in their approach," said Jozef Páleník, who directed the film along with Gejza Dezorz.
The movie features relatives of the victims, specialists and eye-witnesses. It also brings new perspectives. For example, Vincent Fratrič, a direct witness of the tragedy, states that the gunman, Ľubomír Harman, fired rubber bullets. Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic has denied this, however.
"We're not investigative journalists, nor is it our role to substitute for the police. Our task has been to make a commercial documentary," said Páleník. A total of eight people, including Harman, were shot dead in the shooting spree.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
18. Feb 2011 at 10:00