Mobile-phone operators respond positively to new payments for licence extensions

Mobile-phone operators are ready to pay for their licence extensions under newly amended legislation, they announced on Tuesday, April 5. The fees they pay will be set by the Slovak Telecommunications Office. Frequency licences for the two largest mobile-phone operators in Slovakia, Orange and T-Mobile, are due to expire in August.

Mobile-phone operators are ready to pay for their licence extensions under newly amended legislation, they announced on Tuesday, April 5. The fees they pay will be set by the Slovak Telecommunications Office. Frequency licences for the two largest mobile-phone operators in Slovakia, Orange and T-Mobile, are due to expire in August.

According to Orange spokesman Peter Tóth, the company welcomes the legislation, seeing it as a norm that brings clearer rules for frequency licence extensions, as the law in its previous form had been quite ambiguous. Orange obtained its GSM licence for the 900 Mhz band in September 1996, when the company operated as Slovtel; and its GSM 1800 MHz licence in 1999, when it traded as Globtel.

A spokesman for T-Mobile’s parent company Slovak Telekom, Andrej Gargulák, said that it respected the new legislation, the TASR newswire reported, adding that the most important thing would be for the Telecommunications Office to decide on the size of the fee in a transparent way and to set it adequately, reflecting the actual situation on the Slovak telecoms market. Slovak Telekom obtained its GSM 900 MHz licence in 1996 and its GSM 1800 MHz licence in 1999, when it traded as Eurotel.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak