Police capture would-be cannibal after shoot-out

Slovak police arrested a would-be cannibal on Tuesday, May 10, in Kysak (Košice Region), Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic announced the same day. A gunfight erupted during the police operation, with both the perpetrator and one of the police team shot and wounded.

Slovak police arrested a would-be cannibal on Tuesday, May 10, in Kysak (Košice Region), Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic announced the same day. A gunfight erupted during the police operation, with both the perpetrator and one of the police team shot and wounded.

Police had tracked an e-mail communication between the would-be human flesh-eater and a Swiss citizen. "He [the Swiss citizen] wanted to die, and agreed to have his body quartered and subsequently consumed by a person whose identity we did not know," Lipšic said. According to Police Corps President Jaroslav Spišiak, the Swiss man agreed to be killed in woodland. The would-be cannibal – who possesses four legally-held guns – was supposed to drug him, stab him in the heart and then quarter him. His remains were to be hidden – laced with pepper in order to mask the scent and prevent animals from finding the body – and to be subsequently eaten over a period of time. "When he [the Swiss citizen] found out that the perpetrator was serious about the deal, he reported everything to Swiss police, who contacted us via Interpol," Spišiak said, as quoted by the TASR newswire.

Slovak police deployed an agent who pretended to be the prospective victim and lured the cannibal to a meeting on Tuesday morning in Kysak. The 43-year-old suspect – a Slovak living in a nearby village who has not so far been identified – showed up armed, however, and a gunfight with police ensued. He managed to wound a police officer before being shot five times by snipers. Police secured a number of knives, saws and a body-bag at the crime scene. The cannibal was hospitalised with injuries to his internal organs, arm and face, while a 37-year-old police officer sustained arm and chest injuries and is currently reported to be in a stable condition at Louis Pasteur Hospital in Košice.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

No test, no work. Employees will have to take paid or unpaid leave

Those who will be quarantined with a positive test result will be entitled to pandemic sick leave.

Illustrative stock photo

He wore his mask with his nose uncovered. Kotleba is COVID-19 positive

Three more MPs have reportedly tested positive so far.

Marian Kotleba in parliament with his mask under his nose

Curfew and closed schools. Slovakia goes into a mild lockdown this weekend

Nationwide testing will follow, accompanied by another curfew.

Nationwide testing - an ambitious plan with an uncertain result

Antigen tests to be used work on patients with symptoms.