Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Čentéš withdraws as ruling parties’ candidate for General Prosecutor

The expected candidate from the ruling coalition for the vacant post of general prosecutor, Jozef Čentéš, will not be running in the repeat secret vote scheduled to be held on Tuesday, May 17, Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík announced at a press conference on May 13, the TASR newswire reported.

The expected candidate from the ruling coalition for the vacant post of general prosecutor, Jozef Čentéš, will not be running in the repeat secret vote scheduled to be held on Tuesday, May 17, Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík announced at a press conference on May 13, the TASR newswire reported.

Sulík said that Čentéš met with him to tell him that he was withdrawing his candidacy. Čentéš said it was his free decision not to be a candidate in the parliamentary vote.

"It was my free decision ... just as it had been to run for the post," he told the TASR newswire.

Čentéš explained his action by saying that the vote had become linked to allegations of MPs being blackmailed and bribed so he does not want to be part of it any more. He rejected the notion that someone had influenced his decision.

"I made the decision to withdraw my candidacy for the post of general prosecutor completely on my own, individually and without coming under any influence," according to a statement provided to TASR. Čentéš issued the statement in reaction to the opposition Smer party’s claim that Čentéš stood down on the order of Prime Minister Iveta Radičová.

Čentéš was named as the joint candidate of all four coalition parties, the Slovak Democratic and Christian Union (SDKÚ), Freedom and Solidarity (SaS), the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) and Most-Híd, on November 22, 2010.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Voters don’t understand self-governing regions

Rules for regional elections change, which may bring some surprising victories.

One of the biggest fights is expected in Banská Bystrica Region.

Sagan rewrites history Video

Cyclist Peter Sagan becomes the first man to win three consecutive world championships. He allegedly did not expect it and was easy with the idea he would not win.

Ballet legend Sergei Polunin will be guest of SND

The world-renowned personality of contemporary ballet will present two choreographies at the Slovak National Theatre in September.

Sergei Polunin

Blog: Why did I come here?

A group of teachers and students from the Bratislava-based school gathered to support their friend, colleague, and fellow foreigner, as she had already tried four times just to get in the door of the foreign police.

Queue in front of the foreigners' police department in Bratislava.