Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Čentéš says he would stand for General Prosecutor in a future election

A second round of a secret ballot election to choose the next General Prosecutor should not be organised, the Slovak parliament’s Constitutional Committee decided on May 19. One round was sufficient, according to the committee, when there was just a sole candidate who failed to receive a majority of votes, the SITA newswire wrote.

A second round of a secret ballot election to choose the next General Prosecutor should not be organised, the Slovak parliament’s Constitutional Committee decided on May 19. One round was sufficient, according to the committee, when there was just a sole candidate who failed to receive a majority of votes, the SITA newswire wrote.

There were originally two candidates but Jozef Čentéš later withdrew his candidacy and Dobroslav Trnka remained as the only candidate. He failed to be elected, receiving the votes of only 70 MPs, with 29 abstentions and 34 invalid ballots.

Čentéš announced he is prepared to ask for the support of parliament in a future
election. He told SITA on May 19 that he would be a candidate if there is a public, recorded vote and he is asked to run. He added that he does not intend to table any
further conditions and said the only thing he is interested in is that the process is in line with the law and the constitution.

Čentéš apparently still enjoys the trust of coalition parties as they decided on May 18 to wait and see whether he would decide to run for the post in a public vote which Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík is planning to announce. Sulík said after the Coalition Council's meeting late on May 18 that if Čentéš decided to run, coalition caucuses will then discuss his nomination.

Čentéš is seemingly not the only potential coalition candidate for the post as the chairman of the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH), Ján Figeľ, said Čentéš does not enjoy the support of the entire coalition, the TASR newswire wrote.

When a journalist told Figeľ that it is only KDH that raised objections to Čentéš, Figeľ said that he should not be so sure about that. TASR wrote that if Čentéš managed to secure the nomination for the public, recorded vote he would not receive the vote of Pavol Abrhan, a KDH vice-chair.

Source: SITA, TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Sagan rewrites history Video

Cyclist Peter Sagan becomes the first man to win three consecutive world championships.

When the state can’t keep a secret

A selective leak has tarnished President Kiska’s reputation. But he must continue to speak out about corruption.

President Andrej Kiska

Blog: Why did I come here?

A group of teachers and students from the Bratislava-based school gathered to support their friend, colleague, and fellow foreigner, as she had already tried four times just to get in the door of the foreign police.

Queue in front of the foreigners' police department in Bratislava.

Teachers and scientist support anti-corruption march

They praise the activities of students who may change the current state of corruption.

Organisers of the first student protest, Karolína Farská and Dávid Straka.