Both the Bratislava I District Court and a prosecutor from the Special Department at the General Prosecutor's Office made procedural errors that resulted in the release of murder suspect Karol Mello, Peter Šufliarsky, the head of the Special Department, said at a press conference on Tuesday, May 24 the TASR newswire reported.
Mello, accused of a double murder of a boy and woman in the village of Most (Bratislava Region) in 2004, was released from custody by Bratislava Regional Court last week due to processing errors committed by the district court.
After Mello was extradited to Slovakia from Poland last autumn, his case was decided by a single judge at the Bratislava I District Court while it should have been dealt with by a senate and the prosecutor should have drawn the court's attention to this fact, Šufliarsky said.
He did not reveal the name of the prosecutor but TASR reported that it was Eva Mišíková, who was the governing coalition’s initial candidate for general prosecutor last year. The media reported earlier in the day that police have requested the General Prosecutor's Office to issue another warrant for Mello's arrest.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
25. May 2011 at 10:00