THE 50 -metre-tall water tower building that looms over Trnava, is now illuminated. The Trnava Water Company – TAVOS – finished the work required for the night-time lighting of this well-known work by architect Emil Belluš, which is a national technological monument, in May .
Illumination of the building and water tower concluded renovations begun last year that modified the building’s exterior and changed the colour of its facade. Eight lamps illuminate the water tower from four locations beneath the structure and the effect is augmented by additional lights inside.
“We will use white light to illuminate the tower but the intention is to light the water tank itself with a blue shade,” Marek Gálik, the head of TAVOS, told the trnava-live.sk website before the lighting was switched on.
Several tourist sites in Trnava, such as the town tower, St John the Baptist Cathedral and St Nicolaus Basilica have been illuminated at night for several years.
Construction of the Vodáreň (Water Tower) started in the 1940s and it was put into operation in 1954. It holds 1,200 cubic metres of water in its eight-metre-high tank. For the first time in 50 years, the tower was made accessible to the public last year and residents discovered a beautiful view of the whole town from its top.
Another well-known work by Belluš is the Colonnade Bridge in Piešťany.
6. Jun 2011 at 0:00 | Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská