Karol Mello, a man accused of organising a 2004 gangland hit which left a woman and child dead, is on the run again. He was arrested last year in Poland after several years of being sought by Slovak police, and subsequently extradited and charged. However, a series of legal bungles led to him being released from prison by a court in Bratislava earlier this year. He is now reported to have fled again, while a wrangle continues over which body, if any, is authorised to issue a warrant for his re-arrest.
The issue is now before the Supreme Court, which will decide which court is authorised to rule on the matter, the Sme daily wrote on Wednesday, July 6. Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic said that he considers the case to be a total failure of the Slovak judicial system. He said that the police had managed to catch the alleged murderer after several years’ search, only for the courts to free him and subsequently prove unable to issue a warrant.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
6. Jul 2011 at 10:00