Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

NEWS IN SHORT

Mello apparently flees again

KAROL Mello, the man accused of organising a 2004 gangland hit which left a woman and child dead, is apparently on the run again. He had been arrested last year in Poland after being sought by Slovak police for several years, subsequently extradited and charged. But a series of legal bungles led to his release from custody by a court in Bratislava earlier this year. He is now reported to have fled again, while a wrangle continues over which court, if any, is authorised to issue a warrant for his re-arrest.

KAROL Mello, the man accused of organising a 2004 gangland hit which left a woman and child dead, is apparently on the run again. He had been arrested last year in Poland after being sought by Slovak police for several years, subsequently extradited and charged. But a series of legal bungles led to his release from custody by a court in Bratislava earlier this year. He is now reported to have fled again, while a wrangle continues over which court, if any, is authorised to issue a warrant for his re-arrest.

“We are doing all we can within the limits of law [to detain Mello],” Police Corps president Jaroslav Spišiak said, as quoted by the Sme daily.

The police have been waiting for an arrest warrant for Mello for weeks, but judges in Topoľčany, Nitra and Bratislava have passed the prosecutor’s filing from one court to another. It has now ended up with the Supreme Court, which will decide on the matter.

Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic said that he considers the case to be a total failure of the Slovak judicial system. He said that the police had managed to catch the alleged murderer after several years’ search, only for the courts to free him and subsequently prove unable to issue a new warrant.


Top stories

EC: Focus on education and labour market

Some recommendations remain the same as last year.

Illustrative stock photo

No Slovaks among the victims of Manchester attack so far

The representatives of Slovakia have expressed their sympathy to the families of the victims.

Police guard close to the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain, on May 23, 2017, a day after an explosion.

Slovak paralympic athletes win gold and bronze at World Championship

Three Slovaks became world champions in table tennis in the TM2 category at the World Paralympic Championship in Bratislava.

L-R: Ján Riapoš, Martin Ludrovský in the Slovakia-Taiwan match at the paralympic world championship, May 19.

It's not your Slovakia, Bystrica protesters told Kotleba

President Andrej Kiska spoke to the crowd at the protest gathering, asking Slovaks what kind of country they want to have.