IT WOULD be interesting to know why the village of Jedľové Kostoľany came into existence, what its residents were occupied with at its beginnings and more about its function within the broader surroundings, as its region is thought to have been carefully guarded in the Middle Ages.
Important trade routes led through the area, one of them alongside Kostoľany. To this day the ruins of a watchtower, called Živánska, stand near the road and it controlled the route to Tekov.
The village lies in the Tríbeč mountain range not far from Zlaté Moravce. Gold and coal were mined in the mountains but the gold in Jedľové Kostoľany was not of the best quality, according to a 1768 report by a mining expert, Ján Sepp, from Banská Štiavnica. The very first mention of the village called the local brook Jedľová Štiavnica (jedľa means fir) but three centuries later it was called Buková Štiavnica (buk means beech).
This rare postcard from the beginning of the 20th century shows a farmstead in Jedľové Kostoľany.
11. Jul 2011 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan