Gašparovič continues to refuse to appoint Čentéš as general prosecutor

President Ivan Gašparovič is continuing to insist that he will not appoint Jozef Čentéš as general prosecutor until the Constitutional Court releases a ruling on a complaint submitted by acting general prosecutor Ladislav Tichý, the TASR newswire reported following a meeting between Gašparovič and Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík (Freedom and Solidarity (SaS)) on Thursday, July 14. Sulík used the meeting to deliver a petition signed by 76 MPs (a majority) calling for Gašparovič to appoint Čentéš. A majority of MPs formally selected Čentéš in an secret vote in parliament last month.

President Ivan Gašparovič is continuing to insist that he will not appoint Jozef Čentéš as general prosecutor until the Constitutional Court releases a ruling on a complaint submitted by acting general prosecutor Ladislav Tichý, the TASR newswire reported following a meeting between Gašparovič and Speaker of Parliament Richard Sulík (Freedom and Solidarity (SaS)) on Thursday, July 14. Sulík used the meeting to deliver a petition signed by 76 MPs (a majority) calling for Gašparovič to appoint Čentéš. A majority of MPs formally selected Čentéš in an secret vote in parliament last month.

"We hold the opinion that it is the president's duty to appoint a general prosecutor without any unnecessary delay. After the Constitutional Court cancelled its provisional ruling [which had appeared to block selection of a general prosecutor by any method], we don't see any reason why Mr. Čentéš shouldn't be appointed. We haven't found common ground [with Gašparovič] yet," Sulík said.

According to Sulík, the two men agreed that the president must appoint a general prosecutor without unnecessary delay, but did not agree on whether Constitutional Court proceedings justify a delay. "I can appoint him, but I can also seek reasons not to appoint him, such as the Constitutional Court proceedings. Nevertheless, I haven't said that I won't appoint him," said the president, who declined to speculate on what he will do in September when the verdict of the Constitutional Court is expected to be delivered. Nor did he explain what relevance the ruling would have, given that the court is considering the constitutionality of a rule change passed by MPs to make it possible for them to select future general prosecutors via a public vote, whereas Čentéš was selected using the secret-ballot method used for all such previous elections.

Source: TASR

For more information on this long-running story, please see Constitutional Court rules on its provisional decision on GP election method.

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

The US have invested a lot into our region politically

Now they recognise they need to take care of that investment, says Slovak Ambassador to the US Ivan Korčok.

Ivan Korčok in Washington.

Investigation of Kuciak and Kušnírová murders may end in November

Prosecutors of the Special Prosecutor’s Office also commented on the cancelled detention order involving Norbert Bödör and Marian Kočner's text messages.

Martina Kušnárová and Ján Kuciak, the couple murdered in February 2018 in connection to Kuciak's journalistic work.

Wild boars in the area infected with African swine fever need to be killed

The order is part of measures to stop the contagion.

Illustrative stock photo

Kočner’s communication suggests links to far-right extremists

The decoded communication suggests connections to courts and certain politicians, too.

Marian Kotleba