Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Nitra District Court issues international arrest warrant for Karol Mello

The District Court in Nitra last week issued an international warrant for the arrest of Karol Mello, the Nitra Regional Court spokesman, Oliver Kolenčík, told the TASR newswire on July 18.

The District Court in Nitra last week issued an international warrant for the arrest of Karol Mello, the Nitra Regional Court spokesman, Oliver Kolenčík, told the TASR newswire on July 18.

The warrant proposal was submitted to the District Court in Nitra by the Special Task Force Department of the General Prosecutor's Office.

Mello, the alleged organiser of a double murder in the village of Most pri Bratislave in 2004 was detained in Poland last autumn after several years in hiding. He was extradited to Slovakia in April 2011 and then remanded to custody but that decision was ruled improper on the order of Bratislava Regional Court. Mello subsequently disappeared.

Justice Minister Lucia Žitňanská has filed a complaint against the Regional Court’s ruling with the Supreme Court. Mello was allegedly involved in organising the murder of a former police officer in Most pri Bratislave but the hit men mistakenly shot at a car driven by the former officer's partner and his son, age 11, killing both.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Wizz Air: Luggage changes have to wait until we train our staff

Clients of the Wizz Air airline will no longer have to pay for bigger hand luggage with a new service to be launched in late October.

Auto sector could learn from Austria

New fields are an opportunity

Hold onto your hats - heavy storms in Slovakia continue

Summer storms cause property damage, destroy gardens and possibly the harvest

Liberation of Mosul and the fight against ISIS

The United States, Slovakia, and the entire Global Coalition will continue to support our regional partners until ISIS has been defeated and the suffering ends.

Iraqi civilians flee their homes during fighting between Iraqi security forces and Islamic State militants, on the western side of Mosul, Iraq, in March 2017.