Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Police say their plan to capture Mello was thwarted by media announcement

Slovakia’s Police Corps has stated that it was ready to arrest Karol Mello, the indicted organiser of a double murder in 2004, but its efforts were thwarted because the media had reported information on the issuance of an international arrest warrant before the police were notified, according to a statement released by Police Corps Presidium spokesperson Denisa Baloghová on July 21, the TASR newswire reported. "We waited for an international arrest warrant to be issued, based on which we were planning to capitalise on the 'moment of surprise' in conjunction with international police forces and capture Karol M. We hoped to receive information on the issue of the warrant before Karol M. or at least before the media," the statement said.

Slovakia’s Police Corps has stated that it was ready to arrest Karol Mello, the indicted organiser of a double murder in 2004, but its efforts were thwarted because the media had reported information on the issuance of an international arrest warrant before the police were notified, according to a statement released by Police Corps Presidium spokesperson Denisa Baloghová on July 21, the TASR newswire reported.

"We waited for an international arrest warrant to be issued, based on which we were planning to capitalise on the 'moment of surprise' in conjunction with international police forces and capture Karol M. We hoped to receive information on the issue of the warrant before Karol M. or at least before the media," the statement said.

"The police action was thwarted, however. The international warrant to arrest Karol M. was issued by the District Court in Nitra on Friday, July 15. The police learned that it had been issued from the media. We immediately got in touch with the co-operating foreign police forces. We were informed, however, that Karol M. had left the place where he had been staying and that they weren't aware of his current whereabouts," the spokesperson said.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Babiš: I am not a crook, read the story of Chirac or Berlusconi

Despite a mounting list of scandals Andrej Babiš, the billionaire ex-finance minister of Slovak origin, and his ANO party remain the frontrunners in the Czech Republic’s October 20-21 general election.

Andrej Babiš

British PM: We are not treating EU nationals as bargaining chips

Open letter of Theresa May to EU citizens in the UK.

Theresa May

Sentenced!

It is definitely good news that at least one emblematic scandal did not end in vain.

Minister Igor Štefanov was sacked over a scandal.

Do you want a Sagan for your Lego collection? Photo

The post is very popular on Facebook.

Peter Sagan