Proposal to remand Radičová's former advisor in custody submitted

A proposal to have Prime Minister Iveta Radičová's former external advisor Martin Novotný remanded in custody was submitted by the Office for the Fight Against Corruption on Thursday, August 18, the TASR newswire reported, citing police spokesperson Denisa Baloghová. The investigator from the Office for Fight Against Corruption submitted a proposal to take Novotný into custody on Thursday.

A proposal to have Prime Minister Iveta Radičová's former external advisor Martin Novotný remanded in custody was submitted by the Office for the Fight Against Corruption on Thursday, August 18, the TASR newswire reported, citing police spokesperson Denisa Baloghová. The investigator from the Office for Fight Against Corruption submitted a proposal to take Novotný into custody on Thursday.

Interior Minister Daniel Lipšic said at a press conference on Wednesday, August 17, that Novotný had been charged with corruption concerning subsidies for construction of the biathlon venue in Osrblie (Banská Bystrica Region). According to Lipšic, Novotný returned to Slovakia on Wednesday from a holiday in the USA and reported for questioning.

On August 10, Radičová announced that construction of the facilities in Osrblie, which is supposed to host the 2012 European Biathlon Championships, won't be financed from the state budget as originally planned due to corruption. Originally, the state was supposed to provide €1.6 million for reconstruction work.

According to Lipšic, three other people have already been charged with corruption-related offences after being arrested while accepting a bribe of €30,000 in late July. Lipšic estimates that the case could be resolved by the end of the year. "It would be premature to go into the details of the case at this point," he said. Novotný is the fourth person to be charged in the case. The most prominent of the other three, former ambassador and senior public servant Igor Líška, is in custody on remand – a status determined by, among other things, his assessed flight risk and the possibility that he might attempt to influence other witnesses in the case. Businessman Peter Kňazík and a fourth man stand accused in the case as well, the SITA newswire wrote. If convicted, they could face sentences of up to three years.

Sources: TASR, SITA

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Health care staff still lacking, president asks for amends

Slovakia is preparing to launch the nationwide testing on Saturday morning, but the government admitted they still need hundreds of health care staff. Kotleba violates quarantine and hospitals in the north are full.

The Bratislava Self-Governing Region started testing its staff on October 30.

Testing is impossible to carry out as planned, president says

President Zuzana Čaputová asked the government to reconsider measures for people who do not get tested, many will not get a chance.

President Zuzana Čaputová met with the representatives of the armed forces.

The big test is upon us. What are we to do?

For a foreigner living in Slovakia, there is yet another concern.

Health care professionals still lacking ahead of Saturday's testing

Government avoids mobilisation for now, PM offers an extra bonus to health care professionals who can serve the whole weekend.

Dolný Kubín