Slovak President Ivan Gašparovič will take a position regarding the Constitutional Court’s ruling concerning parliament’s voting method in selecting a general prosecutor when the court’s decision is delivered to him, said Gašparovič's spokesman Marek Trubač on October 5, as reported by the TASR newswire.
Trubač said President Gašparovič had only learned about the ruling from the media and added that the president has always respected rulings by the Constitutional Court.
The election of future general prosecutors and some other government officials may be done by public, recorded votes after the Constitutional Court ruled that this was not in violation of the constitution. The court rejected the complaint filed by acting general prosecutor Dobroslav Tichý and a group of 35 opposition MPs who sought to retain secret-ballot voting.
The nominee of the governing coalition, Jozef Čentéš, was elected by MPs in a secret vote on June 17 but Gašparovič refused to appoint him since then, citing the challenge before the Constitutional Court.
To read more about the controversies surrounding the election of a new general prosecutor see: href="http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/43477/2/drama_around_top_prosecutor_continues.html">Drama around top prosecutor continues
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
6. Oct 2011 at 14:00