THIS POSTCARD dates back to the beginning of the 1920s and shows a reproduction of a picture by Czech painter Jaroslav Šetelík, who probably painted the scene from one of the windows of a hotel in Dolný Smokovec (Lower Smokovec). Dolný Smokovec was built, like many other Tatra settlements, because it had a natural spring with acidic mineral water.
Long before the complete settlement was constructed, guests came to the spa from nearby Starý Smokovec. In 1912 the Eagle Hotel was built 100 metres north of the spring, with 60 rooms. It was constructed by famous Tatra architect Gedeon Majunke. Like all buildings designed by this architect, the Eagle Hotel was well-constructed and still stands. At the time it was built the hotel had double windows and a heater in each guest room.
This postcard shows the roof of the Eagle Hotel and the impressive peak of Lomnický štít in the distance.
31. Oct 2011 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff