Galko says VOS informer is responsible for information leak; Kaliňák surprised

Head of Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) Pavol Brychta allegedly pinpointed the person who was responsible for leaking information from military counterintelligence VOS, including typescripts of wiretapped phone calls, said outgoing defence minister Ľubomír Galko (SaS) at a press conference on November 25, the TASR newswire reported.

Head of Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) Pavol Brychta allegedly pinpointed the person who was responsible for leaking information from military counterintelligence VOS, including typescripts of wiretapped phone calls, said outgoing defence minister Ľubomír Galko (SaS) at a press conference on November 25, the TASR newswire reported.

The fact that Smer vice-chair Robert Kaliňák revealed documents that could only be available to a restricted group of people helped the investigation at VOS a great deal, said Galko.

"The first step was an investigation focused on a narrow group of people [VOS employees] via polygraph," said Galko. "The results were in all cases negative with the exception of one person, who refused to undergo the process. This was one of the older high-ranking officials at VOS."

Galko added that this person was immediately transferred to a department in which he will not have access to confidential information.

According to Galko, more documents may be revealed in the future, as they have been stored by somebody for quite a long time and could be used to discredit him (Galko) and SaS sooner or later.

Galko has not handed over the ministry yet as no one has been appointed to replace him.

"When my successor appears, I'll hand over the whole ministry to him," he said as reported by TASR.

Kaliňák expressed his surprise over Galko still visiting the ministry building and having access to the information gained by the secret service. Kaliňák was speaking in response to Galko's press conference.

"He [Galko] doesn't only pose a threat in connection to the confidential information, but also to the security of the state," said Kaliňák, adding he is afraid of possible effects of Galko's activities.

"The person, who gave away the information, wanted to point to illegal activities - and he couldn't break the law by that," said Kaliňák, adding that documents that prove violation of the law shouldn't be made secret.

Source: TASR

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

UPDATED: Nationwide testing for COVID-19 is on

Long queues have formed in front of most testing points since early morning. Some drive-through sites closed in Bratislava

Testing in Trenčín, western Slovakia

The big testing: When and where to show up, and what if I don't want to? (FAQ)

Here is what we know about the practicalities of the nationwide testing so far. Testing also applies to foreigners and diplomats in Slovakia.

Pilot testing in Bardejov

Afraid of testing? Minimise your risk of infection with these test day tips

Coughing is the most dangerous part of the testing process.

Zborov, the Bardejov district

The big test is upon us. What are we to do?

For a foreigner living in Slovakia, there is yet another concern.