THIS ATTRACTIVE postcard, which dates back to the 1960s, features the famous village of Terchová. Originally a pastoral municipality, it has since become a tourist resort on the back of the beautiful countryside that surrounds it.
Until the beginning of the 18th century, Terchová did not have its own church and worshippers had to attend services in Varín, almost 15 kilometres away – no easy undertaking, as people in those days travelled mostly by foot.
The first church was built in Terchová in 1731. It was dedicated to St Martin and served locals until the first half of the 20th century. As its capacity was by then insufficient, and also due to its poor state, it was closed in 1949. In that year, however, a new church opened close to the old one. Dedicated to Ss Cyril and Methodius, it was built by renowned architect Milan Harminc. As it is the biggest church in Slovakia devoted to the two saints, the Days of Ss Cyril and Methodius event has taken place here annually since 1990.
In this picture the closer church is St Martin’s, and behind it is the newer Church of Ss Cyril and Methodius.
19. Mar 2012 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan