The victim of the first venomous snakebite of 2012 has been treated at the Louis Pasteur University Hospital in Košice, with the TASR newswire reporting that a 19-year-old man was bitten on his little finger.
"The patient had both overall and local symptoms of poisoning – he threw up, his left hand was swollen and a response from the lymphatic system was observed all the way up to his armpit. We administered an antiserum to him, and he spent the next two days in an intensive care unit," said the head of the emergency ward, Zoltán Sidor.
The doctor added that generally symptoms of snakebite vary according to the amount of venom received while noting that snakebites are seldom fatal in Slovakia. The common European viper is the only venomous snake species living in Slovakia.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
3. May 2012 at 14:00