Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Ex-minister Štefanov files complaint against charges

Former construction minister Igor Štefanov has filed a complaint against the charges he faces over the infamous bulletin-board tender, Jana Benková, a spokesperson for his party, the Slovak National Party (SNS), said on Thursday, June 7, as reported by the TASR newswire.

Former construction minister Igor Štefanov has filed a complaint against the charges he faces over the infamous bulletin-board tender, Jana Benková, a spokesperson for his party, the Slovak National Party (SNS), said on Thursday, June 7, as reported by the TASR newswire.

The case involved the announcement of a €120-million tender for supplying various legal and advertising services co-financed by EU funds solely on an obscure bulletin-board in a corridor at the ministry where Štefanov was at the time a senior official. The tender was won by businesses linked to SNS party leader Ján Slota, and the money expended on the project later had to be repaid by the state to Brussels. Štefanov was charged with abuse of public office in the public procurement process by the Office for the Fight against Corruption and it will now be up to the Special Prosecutor’s Office to rule on his complaint.

"I’m not really sure if there’s any criminal liability whatsoever," Štefanov commented on the bulletin-board tender two years ago. In the meantime, police have also pressed charges against his predecessor as minister, Marian Janušek, and three other persons involved in the case. If found guilty, Janušek may spend up to 20 years in prison, while the other three people - described by the police only as Radoslav B., Tomáš L. and Zdenka K. – and Štefanov could face 12-year sentences.

Police wanted to prosecute Štefanov last year, but the General Prosecutor's Office rejected their request to ask parliament to strip Štefanov, an MP at the time, of his immunity. Štefanov, whose party failed to get into parliament at the March general election, is no longer an MP so police are now free to prosecute him.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Voters don’t understand self-governing regions

Rules for regional elections change, which may bring some surprising victories.

One of the biggest fights is expected in Banská Bystrica Region.

Sagan rewrites history Video

Cyclist Peter Sagan becomes the first man to win three consecutive world championships. He allegedly did not expect it and was easy with the idea he would not win.

Blog: Why did I come here?

A group of teachers and students from the Bratislava-based school gathered to support their friend, colleague, and fellow foreigner, as she had already tried four times just to get in the door of the foreign police.

Queue in front of the foreigners' police department in Bratislava.

Teachers and scientist support anti-corruption march

They praise the activities of students who may change the current state of corruption.

Organisers of the first student protest, Karolína Farská and Dávid Straka.