Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Poll shows Radičová with 33 percent support in 2014 presidential race

If former prime minister Iveta Radičová runs in the presidential elections scheduled for 2014 she would receive 33 percent support, the SITA newswire reported based on a June 20-27 poll of 1,124 respondents conducted by the MVK agency for the Hospodárske Noviny daily.

If former prime minister Iveta Radičová runs in the presidential elections scheduled for 2014 she would receive 33 percent support, the SITA newswire reported based on a June 20-27 poll of 1,124 respondents conducted by the MVK agency for the Hospodárske Noviny daily.

The poll found that Radičová would have received 33.3 percent of the vote followed by current Prime Minister Robert Fico of Smer with 30.1 percent, and then Ján Čarnogurský with 14.9 percent.

Pavol Hrušovský, the former chair of the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) would have received 8.6 percent, environmental activist Mikuláš Huba 5.8 percent, František Šebej 4.7 percent and Peter Osuský 2.6 percent.

Pavol Haulík of MVK told the SITA newswire that his agency used a pre-defined and closed list of candidates arranged alphabetically who were selected based on an analysis of personal preferences of relevant voter segments.

The pollster added that 38.6 percent of respondents refused to take part in the simulated election or were unable to select among the offered candidates. The remaining 61.4 percent of respondents chose their favourite from the listed candidates.

Source: SITA

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

End of investigative show a cause for concern

Media freedom watchdogs believe the scrapping of the only investigative show on public-service television is a threat to its independence.

Jaroslav Rezník

Slovakia is 26th on the Employment Flexibility Index

Higher work surcharges will push Slovakia down.

Proxy for Roma criticises minister Kaliňák for ethnical and group discrimination

The government proxy slammed Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák for the draft law on repressing criminality in Roma settlements, for populist discrimination and preferring repression to prevention.

Roma communities, illustrative stock photo

Slovak racer Svitko finished at Dakar Video

After a serious fall in the tenth leg, Slovak motorcyclist Štefan Svitko resigned from the 40th year of the Dakar Rally due to pain in his upper body.

Štefan Svitko