Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

TA3 publishes alleged Vatican correspondence with Bezák

Although the Vatican has so far refused to disclose the reasons for the Pope's dismissal of Róbert Bezák from the post of Trnava archbishop earlier this month, Slovak TV news channel TA3 has now published what it says are copies of correspondence between Bezák and the Vatican that preceded his recall. TA3 published the correspondence on its website on July 14, the TASR newswire reported.

Although the Vatican has so far refused to disclose the reasons for the Pope's dismissal of Róbert Bezák from the post of Trnava archbishop earlier this month, Slovak TV news channel TA3 has now published what it says are copies of correspondence between Bezák and the Vatican that preceded his recall. TA3 published the correspondence on its website on July 14, the TASR newswire reported.

Among 11 accusations levelled at Bezák by the Vatican, according to the documents, are his selection of priests with dubious backgrounds – specified as homosexuals and those alleged to have had illegitimate children – as his close associates, and alleged mockery of the cassock as a piece of clothing worn by sorcerers, plus his own decision to dress occasionally in jeans or sweatpants.

Another accusation, according to the documents published by TA3, related to what the Vatican claimed were his disrespectful statements about the Pope and other priests, or references to himself as a "modern bishop and enlightened liberal", TASR wrote.

Bezák reportedly rejected all of the accusations in his responses to the Vatican.

Spokesperson for the Conference of Slovak Bishops (KBS) Ján Kováčik refused to comment on “the internal, partial correspondence between Monsignor Bezák and the relevant congregation, though it could prove to be authentic”, the Sme daily reported.

Vatican spokesperson Federico Lombardi told the daily he had nothing to add to the statements which had already been published.

Source: TASR, Sme

For more information about this story please see: Archbishop’s unexplained sacking prompts dismay, protests

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Police detain another person in promissory notes case

Ex-director of private broadcaster TV Markíza, Pavol Rusko, was detained shortly after being heard.

Pavol Rusko

First 500 jobseekers start training to work in automotive jobs

Neither labour offices nor the automotive industry dare to estimate to what extent the project will be successful.

For a Decent Slovakia organise another protest for June 22

At the same time, they are suing ex-PM Robert Fico, in response to his statements made during the protest rallies in February, citing fear-mongering and defamation.

For a Decent Slovakia represenattives - L-R: Lukáš Füle, Karolína Farská, Juraj Šeliga and Veronika Bruncková - filed a suit against ex-PM Robert Fico June 15.

Construction of the longest tunnel in Slovakia gets complicated

Érsek considers delays in construction of the cross-country highway to be unacceptable.

Western portal of the Višňové tunnel