Defence Minister Martin Glváč has apologised to the former general director of the TA3 TV news channel Michal Gučík for his wiretapping by the Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) last year. However, Gučík is continuing with a complaint he filed with the courts in which he is seeking financial compensation of €750,000, although he says he will not keep the money in the event that the court decides in his favour, the SITA newswire reported on August 24.
“I said that it is not about the money; money is only the pretext for something to happen,” Gučík as, as quoted by SITA.
During the meeting Glváč promised Gučík that ministry lawyers would respond to his request for compensation by September 15. The minister cannot tell him directly why he was wiretapped, Milan Vanga, a spokesperson for Slovakia’s Armed Forces, told SITA.
The wiretapping case was first reported last November. It transpired that the VOS had been bugging one of Gučík’s mobile phones, as well as the conversations of several journalists working for the Pravda daily. The ensuing scandal resulted in the resignation of the then defence minister Ľubomír Galko, a nominee of the Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party.
Gučík later claimed that the case resulted in him losing his job at TA3, the Plus Jeden Deň reported in the beginning of August.
3. Sep 2012 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff