The building authority of the municipal office in Krásnohorské Podhradie in the Rožňava district, has not received as of Monday, September 24, any application from Marián Kotleba or his lawyer for a permit to demolish structures in the Roma settlement, or an announcement that a public gathering should take place on Saturday in the village, Mayor Peter Bollo told the SITA newswire.
Kotleba, founder of the now dissolved extreme-right movement Slovenská Pospolitosť (Slovak Togetherness) has organised marches in the past with the aim of intimidating the Roma minority. He became the owner of some land in the Roma settlement in Krásnohorské Podhradie last year and announced that he intends to come there on Saturday, Septemebr 29, to "clean up waste" and bring the site into compliance with the entry in the land register – which designates it as grassland. In this context, he asked the Presidium of the Police Corps for cooperation.
"Until today, Kotleba has not officially requested any demolition permit, and I did not find in my mail today any notification of a public gathering in the village," said Bollo. The law stipulates that an announcement of a
public gathering must be delivered to local authorities five days in advance. Bollo added that if the organiser fails to comply with statutory obligations, he would face sanctions.
The Mayor added that the land transfer to the new owner and his intention to demolish existing Roma houses in Krásnohorské Podhradie has divided the local community. He said that the municipality has tried to solve the problem of land ownership, but the effort failed due to the reluctance of some people to cooperate. Bollo expects a solution to this
problem from the current government and hopes that the government will start buying out land on which Roma settlements are built as quickly as possible, or offer to owners of the land other plots as compensation. "The mood among the population is mixed. Kotleba is just stirring up emotions. He will come, inflame tensions among people and leave, but that does not solve the problem," says Bollo.
Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák told the TASR newswire that police registered a motion by Kotleba, a request for help with “cleaning” a Roma settlement. Kaliňák continued to say that police will take a stance and prepare security measures to prevent disturbances. According to information from the Facebook social network, more than 300 people could participate in the Saturday event.
(Source: SITA, TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.